cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, an orange one and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2516 Post(s)
Liked 121 Times in 87 Posts
Originally Posted by HTupolev View Post
Because entry-level vintage Schwinns being heavy has very little to do with them being steel and a lot to do with them being entry-level Schwinns. In the old days, Schwinn's Chicago factory was constructing (often via flash-welding ) frames from insanely thick straight-gauge 1010 pipe, covering everything in hilariously thick chrome and paint, and used lots of narrow steel for components (I.e. Ashtabula cranks), sometimes throwing all kinds of frills on. That their "lightweight" road bikes constructed in this manner weighed around forty pounds ultimately resulted in "Schwinn" becoming a synonym for "boat anchor" even back in the days when everything was vintage steel.

So using an old entry-level Schwinn as an example of vintage steel bike weight makes it look like you're really stretching.
You seem to be purposely missing my point. My point isn't about what "level" Schwinn but the cruiser frame which has more tubes and thus more weight than a similar aluminum type frame. There are a number of other "cruiser" type bikes...even modern ones...that have similar frames with much better materials. My aluminum cruiser still under weighs them by a lot. A mountain bike with a complicated frame and sub-frame made out of steel would be prohibitively heavy.

Even regular steel diamond hardtail frames were heavier than aluminum frames. That's why mountain bikes shifted towards aluminum and there are millions of aluminum frames out there standing up to much more punishment than putting on a touring load would put the bike under. Somehow they seem to stand up to the abuse.
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!
Days of Wineless Roads. Bed and Breakfasting along the KATY
Twisting Down the Alley. Misadventures in tornado alley.
An Good Ol' Fashion Appalachian Butt Whoopin'.