Old 05-03-17, 03:24 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
That's typical free-range aggressive dog owner attitude. I've never met a free-range aggressive dog owner who wasn't a dumba$$ redneck, hillbilly drunk or doper. I lived in a rural home for many years and encountered many of those types. They're all the same. Their dogs are proxies for their own $h!tty attitudes about life and toward humanity.

I'm not talking about the goofy dogs who occasionally get loose and roam around. I mean the ones who bark and chase you every damned time, whether you're just taking your trash can out to the end of the driveway, walking, riding a bike or driving your car. And it's often the same damned dogs who invade everyone else's property, terrorizing your pets and kids, killing your livestock, etc. No peaceful means ever work. You can never make friends with the dogs. No threats, yelling, pepper spray or bribes ever work. It's the same damned thing the next time, whether it's the next day, week or month.

And it's always the same crappy attitude games when you finally try to discuss the problem with 'em. "Git off mah propahty! Mah dawg nevah hoit nobody!"

Fortunately our sheriff's department would straight up notify the owners that neighbors had a right to shoot the dogs if they strayed onto other people's property or assaulted passersby. Sometimes that woke 'em up.

But not always.

I've been a photographer since I was a kid, and worked in various capacities providing documentation for court cases, so I'd photograph every instance of dogs trespassing on our property and provided copies to police and animal control. Helps refute claims from negligent owners.

We had a particularly vicious dog (a pit bull, but I don't consider them any worse than others, and we've owned pitties too -- they just demand more training and attention than other dogs because they're so powerful) a couple of doors down that killed most of our chickens and, finally, a turkey that sort of adopted us when he had an injured leg as a young jake and just stayed, and made himself home as he matured into a fine tom. The neighbor's dog mauled the turkey, tore him to pieces, but didn't kill or eat him.

I tracked the feathers and blood and gore to the neighbor's yard, and the dog still had blood and feathers stuck to it's mouth. I photographed that too. Same old crap from the neighbor: "Mah dawg nevah hoit nobody! Git off mah propahty!" He answer the door with his two little girls. I said "How long do you think it'll be before you come home and find your innocent dog has mauled your kids to death? You think it'll stop once it gets a taste for blood? Do something or I will."

The sheriff's deputies and animal control warned him. Didn't help. He kept letting the dog roam the neighborhood.

I finally shot that dog three times on three different occasions. Yeah, pitties are that tough.

First time was in the rump with a .22 at 100 yards distance. It was on our lake front property harassing our chickens. It wouldn't kill the dog but would cost the owner a pricey vet's bill. Probably penetrated less than an inch.

Didn't stop it. A week or two later it was back. This time I was outside mowing and stopped to chat with my grandmother who was on her electric scooter. The dog was at the lake front again. I grabbed a shotgun this time, filled with bird shot. The dog charged toward us. I waited as long as possible to give it a chance to veer away. I fired at 10 yards, a muzzle full of bird shot. Not enough to kill it but you'd think the dog would finally get the message.

Nope.

It was back in less than a month. This time I shot it at close range with a .357 when it was in our garden killing chickens again. Hit it mid-torso. Didn't kill it, but this time the owner finally kept it chained up. We never had problems with it again.

But we continued to have problems with other neighbors' dogs. Different breeds. Retrievers were often as bad, if not worse, at killing livestock just for fun and not eating it. Once a dog goes bad that way it's really hard to break them. That neighbor was even worse, with a son who was a teenaged bully and thug, harassing little kids and toddlers in the neighborhood, roaring down private driveways on his motorcycle, just showing off. Cops finally talked to the parents and they sent the kid away to live with other, more mature family. And they kept at least one of their dogs fenced in.

Anyway, I don't know what the answer is. I've never met an owner of dogs like that who was receptive to anything less than warnings from police and animal control, and finally direct action if all else failed.

Good luck. Take photos and videos on every ride to back up your case.