Old 05-04-17, 10:26 AM
rustystrings61 

Bikes: 2002 Mercian Vincitore, 1982 Mercian Colorado, 1976 Puch Royal X, 1973 Raleigh Competition, 1971 Gitane Tour de France and others

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 823 Post(s)
Liked 1,395 Times in 694 Posts
If your plan is for this to be a daily driver, I would suggest pulling cranks and BB out and replacing them with something less exotic. You might do well to look at 130 bcd cranksets, the Shimano standard that so many other companies used for years - especially Sugino. 135 bcd is pretty much Campagnolo and Miche and I can't think of anyone else, though T.A. and other make replacement rings in that size. Touring and early mtb cranks with 110/74 are awesome if you can find a good deal.

The Stronglight BB will sell on the big auction site; if the left arm is uncracked, it definitely will, because usually it's the right arm that is the orphan; the rings and chainring bolts will also sell.

I am curious, though - did they put the Stronglight crank on a Nervar cotterless BB? My latest crazy project involved buying a set of Nervar Sport cotterless cranks, which are contemporary with the Stronglights in question, and which take another obsolete size, 128 mm bcd. Following the suggestion put forth by others on the C&V forum, I widened the mount bolt holes on a set of 130 bcd rings inward about 1 mm each and fitted them successfully to the Nervars. Period correct, relatively cheap and readily available chainrings, and the Nervar uses the standard 22 mm crank tool. It would involve haunting eBay and using a Dremel, but it's one more option to consider ...