Tanstaafl

Bikes: Specialized Crosstrails

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 11 Posts
Bike Nights at Circuit of the Americas

Austin TX

Every Tuesday night Starting April 11 and continuing for 10 weeks, the Circuit of the Americas race track is open to bicycles. Details here: Bike Night at COTA

3.4 miles of pristine pavement at least 3 lanes wide and not a car in sight. Plenty of room for everyone. Do you like hills? There are a couple, including a 14% monster leading up to turn one. If you don't like hills, they open a bypass that lets you skip the big one.

I went with the girlfriend last night and had a good time. I signed up online; when I arrived checkin was easy and painless. There is a nice beer garden / rest area just off the track. The atmosphere was very laid back and relaxed. There were about three different bike shops set up and even a bike rental. The track staff were friendly and organized.

The only downside is they do not allow outside food and drink, other than gels, energy bars, etc., and your water bottles. Typical for a venue such as this, the burgers and drinks are overpriced, but that is a minor issue. Beer is available, but once you buy a beer, they remove your wrist band, and you are done riding. Oe the plus side, the beer garden stays open for about an hour and a half after the track closes, so you have time to enjoy a beer and relax a bit.

You can refill your water bottles for free at a water monster they have in the rest area. The atmosphere was very relaxed and not crowded.

Parking is in the big lot (Lot A) on the South end of track. Unload your bike, and ride through the tunnel under the track to the pit area.

Last edited by Tanstaafl; 05-10-17 at 11:51 AM.