Old 05-19-17, 11:24 AM
79pmooney
A Roadie Forever

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 95 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1810 Post(s)
Liked 195 Times in 144 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noddy
My hands go numb

Originally Posted by athrowawaynic View Post
Typically a sign that something is wrong with the fit, as you want most of your weight on your legs and saddle. Saddle height, fore-aft, and angle may need adjustment.
I ride by choice with quite a lot of weight on my hands. When my handlebars and brake levers are right, not an issue. (I do change my hand grips regularly - one of the great features of dropped handlebars having so many to choose from).

I consider handlebar and lever fit as important as the rest of the fit on the bike. Yes, seat comes first. Then I conceptualize where my shoulders are with a normal lean forward (for me, quite a lot being skinny, tall and not much muscle). Then I place my handlebars so the drops are a reach with comfortable arm bend and my wrists at a fairly neutral angle. Then I locate my brake levers. Tape the brake cables in place and go for a ride or two without bar tape but bringing all the wrenches. Not until I feel everything is "right" so I tape the handlebars.

Noddy, I wonder if your stem length and height are not serving you well. Maybe try a shorter stem with more angle up? Then, when you can comfortably get to the drops, go through my routine and see what you can come up with. You should be able to find a used stem for not a whole lot of money. (Being a little paranoid perhaps, but also a survivor of a front end failure, I would go out and spend the bucks on one I trusted once I had the position dialed in.)

Ben