Old 05-20-17, 08:39 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
I am running exactly what is described.

• SRAM PG-1170 (Force) 11-36 cassette
  • Shimano Ultegra 6870 Di2 GS mid-cage derailleur
  • Shimano Ultegra 50/34 compact road cranks
  • Shimano Ultegra chain.

Bike is a Niner RLT 9 RDO. It shifts fine. I cross chain the crud out of it, shift under load, basically beat the heck out of it. No problem whatsoever.

The B screw had to be turned in (clockwise) quite a bit but the pulley clears clears large sprocket fine. I don't like the angle of the B screw against the derailleur hanger but this might be an issue specific to the shape of the hanger which comes with the Niner. If it becomes a problem then I'll get some kind of derailleur hanger extender, Wolf Tooth or similar. This is a picture of the screw before it was cranked in clockwise. The angle is much more acute now.

Four links were removed from the stock Ultegra chain and a KMC Missing Link was added. The KMC part number for 11 speed is CL-555.

This is how it looks crosschained small front (34) and small rear (11)...

This is how it looks crosschained big front (50) and big rear (36)...

If the sprocket were any larger than 36 it would definitely need derailleur hanger extender. I was prepared to need a Wolf Tooth RoadLink extender but did not need to do so. If the B screw becomes an issue in the future then I won't hesitate.

-Tim-

Last edited by TimothyH; 05-20-17 at 08:51 PM.