Old 05-21-17, 08:19 PM
ericy
Seņor Member

Bikes: Giant OCR2, Trek DS 8.3

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 320 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I used to have a Wahoo RFLKT+, which was basically a remote display for a phone that communicates via bluetooth. The advantage is that the phone display is off and conserves phone battery power. The downside is that you need to have your phone with you, and the phone needs to be able to use BT/ANT to talk to whatever sensors (problematic for HRM when phone is in back jersey pocket). The display on the RFLKT+ died, so I upgraded to Wahoo Bolt. Similar functionality to Garmin units - no longer have a need to have a phone with me if I don't want to, and if the phone battery dies I don't lose my ride data. At the end of the day it depends on what you really want out of the thing. Do you want to just record data but not view the display until after the ride? Then numerous apps will do that job for you. It gets trickier if you wish to have the phone visible while you are riding so you can track your progress.. Having a phone mounted on the handlebars seems dangerous to me - the phone could be destroyed if it comes loose, and battery life is going to be an issue if you want to have the display on constantly while you are riding.