Old 05-23-17, 07:50 AM
MRT2

Bikes: 2012 Salsa Casseroll, 2009 Kona Blast, 1997 Bianchi Advantage, 1994 Trek 930.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 829 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by speshelite View Post
I've never had a saddle that I disliked initially "become" comfortable over time. It's either comfortable initially or it's not.

One of the most important factors in fit is figuring out the width of your sitbones. This will help you determine the proper width for your saddle.

I found anything under 140 to be too narrow. 155 too wide--not horribly so but I find it interferes with my pedaling efficiency slightly. I can work with saddles in the 140-145 range. At that point, you want to find out if your anatomy agrees with cutout saddles or not. I can work with both.

Oddly, certain brands just don't work for me and it's not absolutely clear why, even if the saddle width is fine. Sometimes the raised stitching is an irritation or the saddle foam is too soft or hard. Sharp 90 degree angles like on wtb are disagreeable to me.

I went through maybe 10 saddles until I found one which fit properly. Obviously they've gone on every bike and I have backups. You never know.

You might get lucky and find the right saddle within your first few tries. I was not so fortunate but I'm glad I found the right saddle eventually. I just don't think about the saddle at all now, which I consider to be a major luxury.
I agree. While you might need to ride a bit to harden up your posterior, if the saddle feels like a torture device straight away, it might not be a bad idea to replace it. Because there is a natural process of hardening up, and there is pain caused by a cheap stock saddle that fits your posterior poorly. That will never go away no matter now much you ride and suffer.

The question is, with what? I like the Brooks B17, and it is now my benchmark. If I decide to switch saddles in the future, I will ask in what way the future saddle departs from the B17, in shape or materials. You will need to try a few different style of saddles. As others suggested, see if you can find a bike shop with loaner saddles, and once you find one you like, bite the bullet and buy a saddle from the shop once you find one you like. Once you find one you like, you will also have a benchmark when you buy future saddles.

Last edited by MRT2; 05-23-17 at 07:58 AM.