speshelite
Banned

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jefnvk View Post
+1 to @Lazyass and @TimothyH

True, but someone new may not realize the difference between pain caused by the saddle and pain caused by simply being out of shape.

Every spring, my bottom is sore for the first week or two of riding, even on saddles that are now back to being comfortable. The bottom can take a bit to get (re)acclimated.

Saddles are subjective, there is no guarantee that an expensive one is going to be any better for my bottom than a cheap one. My current favorites that I can actually obtain are solidly middle end, nothing too fancy.
Being out of shape does not cause saddle pain. An ill fitting saddle causes saddle pain.

I don't get a sore bottom after winter; this is because my saddle fits me properly and so do my bikes. Cycling should not and does not cause pain, assuming you have a proper bike and saddle fit and you are not suffering from a previous injury.

There is some subjectivity but there are certain simple parameters that guide you towards the correct saddle in a relatively efficient manner. One, like I said before is saddle width. That's the most important. Other factors can include the presence/absence of a cutout, the firmness or cushiness of the foam, and absence/presence of certain possible irritants, such as stitching.

Some people get lucky and find the right saddle in the first few tries. Others, like yours truly, had to go into the double digits but now I'm happy because I don't have to think about saddle fit. I don't have to "give it a 100 miles" or "two weeks" or "tough it out" or some other such nonsense. Anyone who goes through that process hasn't found the proper fit and is enduring unnecessary discomfort. Keep trying and you can find a saddle that doesn't cause soreness or pain, ever. I did it, so can others.