Old 05-23-17, 01:30 PM
speshelite
Banned

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jefnvk View Post
It has never been my experience, in any sport, that after not doing something for months there isn't even the slightest bit of a reacclimation period. I'll go through the exact same thing when I haven't played hockey over the summer come September: the feet are going to be sore the first skate or three, then they'll be back to normal and happy. I spent a lot more money on the skates to make sure I got it right than I probably ever will find a bike saddle selling for, it is not a matte of having the wrong ones.

It is not the saddle causing pain. It is the lack of conditioning. It's even the first thing mentioned on the Sheldon Brown page on saddles: https://www.sheldonbrown.com/saddles.html
Reacclimation and pain are two different things.

Sheldon Brown is just one individual. It's silly to point to him as an authority esp. when he is so clearly wrong. People cite Sheldon Brown all the time for no good reason. I think people cite him because other people cite him. If I can find a saddle that's pain free all the time, anyone can do it. The principles are very simple. I've outlined them several times. Yes, I went through a lot of saddles. However, I was able to resell all of the saddles I bought which didn't fit me. At a loss, but not 100%.

A bike that fits properly and a saddle that fits properly lead to pain free riding. There is no period of pain you need to endure.

edit: here's the relevant passage I suppose:
A cyclist who is out of cycling shape from being off a bicycle for a few months or more will start out strong, but the legs will tire rapidly. When the legs tire, the rider sits harder on the saddle, and that's when the trouble starts. Many saddle complaints are actually traceable to fatigue caused by starting out the season with a longer ride than you are ready for.

OK, that's just flat out stupid. You don't "sit harder on the saddle" when your legs are tired. That's just total gibberish. I can't discuss his ideas any further as they are demonstrably stupid.