Sean Gordon
Slam That Stem.

Bikes: Quattro Assi DBS, Cannondale XR800, Felt Breed

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TurbineBlade
Both -- braking was weak regardless of hand position. Actually, I remember distinctly that no amount of hand pressure (even deep in the drops) would lock up the rear wheel, and front braking was just marginally better. These were not the super-old road levers with the pivot point set such that braking form the hoods is naturally pretty crappy....it should have been good, like modern levers (the 105s are fairly modern).

With thos mountain levers I have good power and modulation honestly. If I wanted a bit more power, I could set the pads out further from the brake arms, but honestly I'm liking the blend of power and pad movement.
I borrowed my teammates cyclocross bike with shimano 105 5700 levers and tektro low profile cantilever brakes. The low profile cantilevers have lower clearance/travel and greater mechanical advantage than wide profile cantis, but are still not v-brakes. Braking was piss poor, could not lock up the rear wheel on dry loose gravel. The newer shimano levers have a higher pivot point than in years past, but it is still lower than optimal for braking from the hoods, and lower than either campagnolo or SRAM. Not to mention the razor sharp edges all around the pivot points. don't use shimano road levers if you can help it, it's the weak link in their system and the real reason they went electronic. Everything else they make its great, my cx bike is campy levers, fsa wide profile cantis and shimano everything else. Great engineering, terrible ergonomic design.

Mods - sorry I just realized the age of this thread.

Last edited by Sean Gordon; 05-24-17 at 08:19 AM. Reason: Wow please excuse this extreme necropost.