Old 05-25-17, 08:26 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2871 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 50 Posts
Given that you're here in Australia, I'm not sure what the shops might have to help you out in that regard.

You can try measuring your sitbone placement by stacking some towels onto a low stool and sitting on them, then checking where your sitbones are.

Or putting sand into a deep tray and sitting on that.

Might give you a rough idea.

Or you can use your current saddle ... how do you feel on it?

When I've tried saddles that are too narrow, I feel like I'm being ripped in half. It's really painful because I can only get one sitbone on the saddle and the other one falls off the side. When I've tried saddles that are too wide, there's all kinds of friction on my inner thighs.

Then there's the curve of the saddle ... I like saddles that curve up in the back a little bit. I've tried flat saddles and they just don't work for me at all. I have read that has something to do with the fact that I've got next to no hamstring flexibility, but whatever it is ... curvy is comfortable.

And then, a halfway decent shop should let you try a saddle for a week or so. A good shop will let you try it for a month or so. A really good place will let you try it for 6 months.

When I decided to venture into the world of Brooks saddles, I ordered my first from Wallingford Bicycles in the US ... they had a 6 month trial period on the saddles.