View Single Post
Old 05-26-17, 01:03 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1973 Raleigh Twenty, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 398 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5161 Post(s)
Originally Posted by indyfabz View Post
I have a friend who lives in anthracite country in PA. She heats her house with coal.
Four years ago, we bought a house in upstate New York that had been built in 1863. It had an electric furnace, and a friend of ours said there was probably a coal burning furnace at some point. He poked around in our barn and -- AHA -- found two buckets of anthracite. The house is right near the Delaware and Hudson Canal, built to cope with the coal embargo from England. The canal brought coal from Pennsylvania to New York.

Originally Posted by tombc View Post
is bicycling not better for the environment than basically everything else you could be doing other than maybe reading library books?

Probably. I don't know if it's true, but I have read that a human on a bicycle is more efficient than any form of locomotion, including anything in the animal kingdom. Too bad fuel (edible food) costs so much more per calorie than fossil fuel, but fossil fuel is underpriced since by using it, we are borrowing from our ancestors and our descendants. We should jack up the price so we reduce our consumption.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.