View Single Post
Old 05-26-17, 01:18 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1973 Raleigh Twenty, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 399 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5170 Post(s)
Originally Posted by indyfabz View Post
the D&H Canal Co. later went on to the become the Delaware & Hudson Railway Company.

Was camping near Cuddebackville, NY, which is on U.S. 209 east of Port Jervis, NY, last September during a bike tour. On a back road off 209 you can still see part of the former D&H Canal. No water in it, and it's all grown over, but it's there.
I haven't visited that area yet, but that's what the canal looks like near our place in High Falls, too. There are still some parts that hold water. High Falls has the museum devoted to the canal. It was the largest public works project in history at that point, a million dollars. And it was done on time. There were 10,000 people in High Falls because of the work boom. The population is now about 627.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.