Thread: What to eat
View Single Post
Old 05-28-17, 06:13 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7652 Post(s)
Liked 3,473 Times in 1,834 Posts
It does seem Doge has some specialized training information which suits a very specialized situation which he is really excited about, and thus he is trying to adapt it to all kinds of situations---and it it plainly doesn't fit, he then ties to change the situation to fit his eating regimen.

Best part is the OP read the first few entries and headed out. We are here fighting over misunderstanding and pride while the OP is riding his bike.

The best part of all this? Almost everyone who reads this either knows enough about him- or herself, about cycling, about nutrition, and/or about human foibles, to be able to decipher all this. That person will probably Google the topic, read three web pages, integrate all the useful bits, and be gone ... totally ignoring which poster here promoted which eating schedule.

I did most of my longest rides back before I had reliable internet. I just used two simple ideas--take on food and water before you need it (not that I thought I would die, but still there is a period between hunger and thirst. replenishment, and returning to homeostasis, and that 15 minutes of discomfort can be avoided by eating and drinking early and the simpler "eat if hungry, drink if thirsty" which is useful if the periodic early fill-ups are insufficient.

I am sure quite a few posters here did their first long rides with no more research than that.

The other thing is: This is an Experience for the OP. No matter what happens he will remember it and learn from it. if he bonks and has to stop at a convenience store for some calories, he will tell that story. If he hardly eats and rides home with his jersey pocket packed full of food, he will tell that story. Whatever .... he will learn some stuff and experience some stuff and have some stories to tell.

I have never heard of anyone starving to death on a century ride.