Thread: What to eat
View Single Post
Old 05-30-17, 06:40 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7652 Post(s)
Liked 3,473 Times in 1,834 Posts
Originally Posted by Zurichman2
If nothing else getting off the bike and stretching your legs some has to help break up the ride some.
This is interesting.

I was helping lead a beginner group ride a couple decades ago and did some research because at the time I was not a beginner ( a status I have sadly reclaimed since.)

The advice I got was to stop every 45 minutes to an hour twenty minutes or whatever, to give everyone just enough time to stretch and eat a tiny snack (not ice cream, not a cheeseburger---a banana or something) and after five or seven minutes (which is 15, if you have ever tried to get a group moving) get everyone back riding---just enough time to stretch and not enough time to cool down/stiffen up.

This way, i was told, you can get novices to do a bunch of 12-15 mile rides back to back, where a 25-mile ride might max them all and leave them ready to quit.

I have found that for myself, stopping to change two flats when I was really tired left me feeling fresh and ready to finish a long ride ... and on another occasion I had to run into a store to buy a battery for my light two-thirds of the way through a ride, and when I got back on the bike I felt fresh again.

I have since read posts suggesting Never Stopping .... but my experience and my research indicate that a short (five-seven minutes) break can make the whole difference.

so .... next time bring some tacks, and when you get tired, throw them in the road ahead of you.