View Single Post
Old 12-24-05, 01:13 PM
nun

Bikes: Rivendell Quickbeam, Rivendell Rambouillet, Rivendell Atlantis, Circle A town bike, De Rosa Neo Primato, Cervelo RS

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tcwolf
Ah, another Roubaix owner. Here is the link on Zertz technology:

http://www.specialized.com/bc/techlab_zertz.jsp?a=b

Still looking for anyone with some first hand experience.

On the comment about the forum being stuck in the 1970s, actually it did strike me about touring technology in general. I did a lot of touring in the '70s and '80s and the bikes still look pretty much the same. I'm a big windsurfer and it's amazing how technology has filtered down to the masses from the pros. Carbon masts and booms have pretty much wiped out glass and metal. They are stronger, last longer, and are significantly lighter. (Strength may be counter intuitive but to get an idea of how it works take a look at a tree swinging in the wind. Some flex is actually good when under stress.) The downside is that carbon is still more expensive but the cost has come down significantly. At first there was a bit of issue with durability, however that was quickly overcome with better manufacturing techniques. If in fact the comment about the failing fork is true rather than urban myth, it is likely an early carbon fork that was poorly manufactured...

I agree that tourists do tend to be traditional in their approach to equipment. This conservative attitude is brought about by sticking with stuff that is simple and you know works. I think there is a general feeling that steel rides well, is strong and durable, is light enough for touring and is reasonably priced. When it comes to performance and strength vs weight carbon is better and I think it will start to appear in some
touring bikes, but I don't think the extra cost really merits its use and its long term performance after yeras of punishment is still unknown. Also I think tourers stick with their bikes for a long time, decades sometimes, and they modify and change them over the years and its just alot easier to braze on an extra fitting and repaint steel than carbon fiber. I'm getting a new touring bike made with Columbus Zona tubes that I expect to ride for 20 plus years and the frame weight is 3.75 lbs, that's light enough for me.