monogodo
NFL Owner

Bikes: 7-Eleven Eddy Merckx, Vitus Futural, Catamount FRS, Colnago SL, SS MTB

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
What GP said.

As for mainland Chinese scooters, when I was shopping for a scooter last year, I asked the Vespa shop next door about them. I had a theory that I could pick up a cheap Chinese scooter as a "starter bike" and upgrade to a Vespa later. The salesman said that he has friends who have done that, and that a couple of them got lucky and got good ones, while others had catastrophic failures which caused serious crashes. He said their service department will work on most scooter brands that they don't carry, (they carry Vespa, Piaggio, Aprilia, Kymco, & Genuine), but that they won't work on cheap Chinese brands because there's no quality control on the original build, and they can't consistently get them to function safely or properly.

I imagine that if you do your own wrenching, and are diligent about checking it over regularly, you could do ok with one.

ETA:
When my BV 350 was in the shop for a month, the dealer loaned me a KYMCO Xciting 500 Ri. It was a decent scooter. It had the same power rating as my BV 350, but felt sluggish. It didn't handle as well as the Piaggio, either. The only comfortable way to sit on it and ride was with my legs extended forward, like I was cruising on a Harley. While I enjoyed riding it (I put about 500 miles on it), I was very happy to get my BV back.

Last edited by monogodo; 06-02-17 at 08:46 AM.