3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26389 Post(s)
Liked 10,365 Times in 7,197 Posts
Originally Posted by College3.0

My question... can I use modern, relatively generic rim brake calipers (I have a newer bike with Tektro v-brakes and those are perfectly adequate for my taste) and also drop bar levers to replace the old stock ones ? How does one tell if the new parts are compatible with the old frame?
...limiting my response to the brakes alone, there are two issues with using a Tektro dual pivot sidepull caliper brake on your bicycle. First is that you have "nutted" brakes, so your bike is not drilled to allow mounting a recessed nut type brake on your frame as configured currently. The second is reach, which is a highly technical term we use to define the distance in mm between the center of the brake mounting bolt hole and the spot below it where the shoes hit the rim.

Tektro makes thos suckers in a wide range of reaches, so you're probably good there, but it's hard to find anyone making and selling nutted brakes any more, so you might need to either figure out how to properly drill your mounting holes for recessed nut brakes, or more likely find someone with the expertise to do that for you.

Were it me, I would first attempt the new brake shoes/ aluminum alloy rim solutions already suggested, but there's no denying those Tektro dual pivot brakes are a good deal, and work very well when properly installed.

If you're going to do much of this stuff, buy yourself a cheap Vernier caliper and learn how to measure with it...you can use it to measure brake reach, The plastic ones (good enough) are like three bucks at Harbor Freight.

You ought to be fine going to just about any drop bar brake lever. Most people go for the aero style with the cables routed along the bar and under the bar tape. Those might already be aluminum rims. Check them with a magnet.