Old 06-05-17, 11:21 AM
Chombi1 

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1639 Post(s)
Liked 829 Times in 538 Posts
Ha!! I was doing my first Campy Delta brakeset install myself yesterday afternoon!
Tip: make sure you have the essential 3.5mm allen head wrench......and a third hand tool, as I learned that Campagnolo engineers really thought that people have more than two hands when they designed this brakeset! Just putting on the brake shoe holders and wheel guides with even the calipers not installed was a PITA!
If those little cable ramp inserts are still in the lever body, don't remove them if you will go the aero route, as they are really fiddly to install, specially with the lever hoods on (from the side of the levers not from the top). Do take them out if you will go non-aero with the levers, as they might fall off when you ride. They are not cheap to replace, if you can even find them.
Next big tip, do not cut your cables until you already thread them through the cable pinch mechanism, as a frayed cable tip will make it very hard to route them through the cable pincher, which is mostly hidden behind the caliper internal mechanism. Only cut the cable close to the bottom of the caliper casing when you have the caliper close enough to final adjustment, as you only will most likely have one chance to cut it to the correct legnth. Cut it too short and you might need to run out again to get another cable. Screwing up the top cable stop adjuster can give you a bit more slack and allowance to help avoid the too short cable disaster.
Measuring cable casing required legnth before you cut it is also very important, as the very short distance from the handlebar and the top cable stop on the front caliper means the brake will work it's best if you do not have any excess cable and casing ending up in an unsightly and flexible bow in front of your head tube. Bikes with internal top tube rear b4ake cable routing will also be very sensitive to any excessive legnth cable casing because of the shorter than usual rear cable casing.
BTW, make sure you use an open end wrench to keep the cable pinch bolt mechanism from turning, while you tighten the grub screw against the cable. This will make sure the cable will not slip and also prevent you from damaging the internal pivot mechanism.
Took me about an hour to install just the front Delta caliper and lever on my Montello yesterday, I hope to do better with the rear, but the top tube internally routed cable is making me nervous just thinking about it......
Good luck!

Last edited by Chombi1; 06-05-17 at 11:25 AM.