canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Originally Posted by memebag
No, the way to avoid bonking is keep consuming sugar. The treatment for bonking is consume sugar. Simple sugars work best as long as you keep consuming them.
I hope you'll reconsider that dietary philosophy. It's dangerous for routinely treating hypoglycemia. We're not hummingbirds. Save the simple sugars/glucose for emergencies, which should be rare.

The best way to avoid bonking is a diet that provides for short term and long term energy. That ain't simple sugar or glucose.

Most people have experienced at least one episode of low blood sugar. If you know anyone who gets hangry -- suddenly irritable from hunger -- that's hypoglycemia. But if it happens more often it's probably due to other underlying illnesses and/or chronic dietary problems. But that requires a medical diagnosis.

I carry gel packs, snacks and glucose tablets for emergencies. Glukos tablets from sporting goods stores are good and usually cheaper than the same thing marketed to diabetics in pharmacies. But I don't take 'em unless I feel a bonk coming on, which I try to avoid by eating properly.