MikeOK
Yo

Bikes: 2003 Yeti AS-R, 2018 Waltly ti

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 429 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Mark42
Why is it that road bikes have V brakes, and mtn have disc? Why not put disc on road bikes? I thought disc were better. I know the set of BB5 calipers on my bike weigh more than a set of V brake levers, but does squeezing the rim make up for the few grams saved over a disc? Someone must make a light weight magnesium alloy or carbon caliper that would negate that weight advantage. Or maybe I'm totally missing the relationship of brakes to bikes.

The reason I ask is because after looking at lots of alloy and carbon road frames on alibaba/aliexpress, noticed that no road bikes had IS or PM caliper mounts on the chain/seat stay. All were setup for V brake.
Some road bikes do come with discs. The main reason why you dont see more is that you don't need the braking power of discs on a road bike. I rode my old Trek over 40,000 miles and didn't have to replace the pads one time. On my mountain bike with discs I had to replace them at least once a season. Another disadvantage of discs on a road bike is the added weight. Roadies can get pretty anal about every gram of weight.