elcruxio

Bikes: 2011 Specialized crux comp, 2013 Specialized Rockhopper Pro

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 862 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 223 Posts
Originally Posted by memebag
They also say:

"Exercise, especially strenuous exercise, can deplete glycogen stores and cause you to experience symptoms of hypoglycemia. "

and

"An unfit person consuming 45 percent of her calories from carbohydrates, stores 100 grams of glycogen in her liver. At a moderate exercise pace, you burn 1 gram of glucose per minute and would theoretically completely diminish your glycogen stores after 1 hour and 45 minutes of exercise. "

You said:

"I tried searching info about this and nowhere I could find was there a suggestion that a healthy person can achieve hypoglycemia. "

I linked these articles because they say a healthy person can achieve hypoglycemia.

I seem to have run into people with Strong Beliefs. Probably nothing I can say to influence those beliefs.

Who knew sugar water was so important?
It's as if you didn't even read my response post, and I am assuming you didn't. Please do and also read the point where I concede that exercise can cause mild hypoglycemia in some individuals.

As to your quotes from the livestrong article

"...cause you to experience symptoms of hypoglycemia."
Symptommmmsss! Not the same deal as the real thing.
In context this quote also pertains to, again, glycogen depletion, which is different from hypoglycemia.

"An unfit person consuming 45 percent of her calories from carbohydrates, stores 100 grams of glycogen in her liver. At a moderate exercise pace, you burn 1 gram of glucose per minute and would theoretically completely diminish your glycogen stores after 1 hour and 45 minutes of exercise"

I actually missed this untruth previously but thanks for pointing it out. I wonder if this is where you get that 90 minute thing from. What this quote fails to take into account is that most of you glycogen is stored in the muscles and the liver only has a small portion of it. Also, this again refers to glycogen depletion, which is different from hypoglycemia.

I think I need to spell this out for you.
Hypoglycemia refers to a condition where blood glucose levels drop under a certain point. I'm actually experiencing such an occurrence at the moment of writing. So we're talking about glucose, in the blood.

Glycogen depletion means that you run out of glycogen stores. Glycogen levels are the amount of the stuff you have in your body, stored in muscles and liver, not the blood. You still with me? Body =/= blood. Ok, so while glycogen depletion can lead to a temporarily lowered blood glucose level in the blood, the body has ways of counteracting this, such as catabolization of muscle tissue, converting protein into glucose, etc. When you run out of glycogen, the body doesn't simply strip the blood of glucose and kill you, it burns fat instead. Because the body has, you know, a tendency to want to keep living and stuff. If you're not accustomed to fat burning, you're going to have a bad time.

Also, as I've mentioned before from personal experience, glycogen depletion makes you weak. Even a severe episode of hypoglycemia does not necessarily make you weak since the effect is primarily felt in the brain and not the muscles which still have glycogen stores.

For further reading:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glycogen
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypoglycemia

Try to use wikipedia instead of Livestrong. That livestrong article you linked was hilarious but also a bit worrying that such bull is being circulated in the web with a guise of healthy living.

Why sugar water is important? It simply is not. Pro cyclists mainly eat regular food when they train and primarily use gels / sports drinks when racing.