View Single Post
Old 06-08-17, 08:50 PM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Mentioned: 255 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2588 Post(s)
Liked 4,824 Times in 1,709 Posts
Some insightful comments so far - thanks to everyone for your takes.

I figured buying in bulk had a lot to do with overhaul-type flippers. Sounds like some great prices to be had that way.

Since I need them rarely (I currently have only 5 riders and can get at least two seasons out of a set of brake/gear cables), I couldn't really see picking them up in bulk. However, going with 10 would be perfect

I don't want to have to give up completely on my LBS. Tube cost doesn't strike me as too high (as long as they don't get any more expensive...right...), but I figure four bux is pretty much what a cable inner should cost. The problem for me is the only reason to go in is for consumables like this. Tires? Online. Bar tape? They don't carry cloth - online. Or Recycled Cycles. I'm stocked for years with Campy/Mathauser brake pads. I do my own maintenance and rotate bikes enough so that I'm not wearing out my drivetrains any time soon.

If I can't get them to cut me a 1/2 off for a bulk purchase (but not too bulky) then I'm afraid my only real reason for dropping in would be gone. Then I become a cyclist who doesn't support his LBS. I guess I'd feel guilty if I weren't paying twice as much as everyone for the most basic of bike parts.

DD

Last edited by Drillium Dude; 06-08-17 at 09:12 PM.