Old 06-10-17, 07:51 PM
rgconner

Bikes: Curtis Inglis Road, 80's Sekai touring fixie

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 472 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by gregf83
There are a number of incorrect assumptions in the above statements. First of all it's unlikely you're burning anywhere close to 1000 to 1100 Cals/hr (280 to 305W).
Secondly, it's not clear where the 200 Cals from storage comes from. Reasonably fit riders can extract 250-300 Cals/hr from fat alone with the rest supplied by stored Glycogen.

For reference, I just finished 146km in 4:40 and burned about 3,300 Cals (Energy expended 3283kJ from powermenter). I ate a clif bar and a latte at the halfway point along with a bottle and a half of water. The rest of the energy came from fat and stored glycogen. The last hour of the ride was the most intense so no dropoff in power or energy. I'm about 165 lbs so not a lightweight.

To be fair, I did have a decent sized breakfast with 3 pieces of french toast before leaving so that likely contributed 500-700 Cals during the ride.
I am 215, so there is a huge difference in calories burned.

About 225 more per hour, or about 20% more per hour at 14-16 miles per hour, based on "typical" fitness. (That calls 14-16 "brisk" but not "fast". I would bet you call that "slow" and I call it "average".

I am also not nearly as fit as you are I assume. I do benchmark rides, and as you get more efficient, you burn less calories, at least based on heart rate. Same ride 2 weeks ago, 148bpm average, this week, 140. Only 2 or 3 pounds lighter (I average a little over pound a week, or about 5lbs per month weight loss)

I'll accept 300 calories per hour from fat storage, but even then that is only 400 more calories, or about 2 nutrition bars difference for me.

And that is the most important thing, everyone is different in how their body deals with nutrition, and you have to do what works for you.