Old 06-13-17, 06:42 AM
elcruxio

Bikes: 2011 Specialized crux comp, 2013 Specialized Rockhopper Pro

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 862 Post(s)
Liked 335 Times in 223 Posts
Originally Posted by Chuck Naill
Glucose and insulin spike during exercise. It is normal physiology. This says it better than I could.
Originally Posted by Chuck Naill
I have not missed anything. The study ,you linked, evaluated two type of drinks used DURING exercise while our discussion is whether eating a sugary breakfast BEFORE will continue to provide fuel for a long ride, hike, or run.
if this is not indeed a blatant attempt at shifting the goalposts, I'd recommend you post with a little bit more accuracy since I've been under the impression that we two have been discussing solely spiking during exercise. I do hold the opinion that insulin can spike after or before exercise, but not during. I'd hardly be arguing against my own viewpoints now would I?

The study acknowledges, "However, there is insufficient evidence to determine whether the increased exogenous CHO oxidation improves endurance performance", which you apparently overlooked.
How does this have anything to do with anything? Glucose is glucose. Fueling during exercise is not to improve performance but to
A) aid with recovery and
B) prevent the depletion of one's glycogen stores.

Other problems with attaching the results to us is that the 62 miles times trial was to determine performance, not endurance for a four hour bike ride, hike, or run.
Again I don't get what you're getting after. The whole point of me linking those graphs was to show that insulin does not in fact spike during exercise, nor does blood glucose.

Also, fructose is not metabolized the same as glucose. There is much written about the problems with fructose consumption.
I don't really care how fructose is metabolized. It's not relevant for this discussion.

I also think you are confusing the term "spike" as something bad. As the source I stated says, the glucose and insulin physiology is different during exercise, but that does not mean it does not occur.
Except that the graph shows exactly that insulin does not spike during exercise. Didn't you start saying insulin spikes are bad and foods with high glycemic index are also bad. The reason for this being that insulin spikes cause this sawing motion where you have a high BG, insulin crashes that down and you need to munch something sugary to get rid of the renewed hungry feeling of a slightly low BG reading.

Eat what you want, but understand why some foods are better for fuel than others. That's all I am suggesting.
Yes, exactly. However what better means is highly dependant on your current activity. I did mention that for training regular food is best, such as bananas, parmesan crusted potatoes, rice, french toast with maple syrup, honey etc. Anything that has carbs in it usually works. But if you want maximum performance with the fastest possible uptake of fuel (as you would in a racing situation) you'd use gels and fast carbs.