edelay

Bikes: Dahon Curve D8 (Sturmey Archer X-RF8), Crius Smart 3.0 5 speed

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by tdonline
Great post Edelay, very informative.
What do you need the aber hallo for? To increase the reach? So, the handlepost is non-adjustable?
How long/far do you plan to ride? Is this more than a last mile bike?
How will you carry luggage on the bike?
Thanks tdonline.

I didn't order or ask for the Aber Hallo, Thor generously included it for free. Was nice to see it in the box.

I've since installed it to lower the handlebars. The handlepost that came with the Crius isn't adjustable. The Aber Hallo gets me most of the way to the position I like, which is having the handlebars 10cm below the seat. Once I order a shorter handlepost will remove the Aber Hallo. I realize that my preferred riding position is not typical for a folding bike.

It is definitely not a last mile bike for me. Typically, I will ride this on my 20 km commute (round trip) as a backup bike. As well, when travelling I would expect to do about that much in a day. My plans are to do some longer rides, 50 km to 100 km over the next few years while travelling. Something like, heading out in the morning on the bike, then have my family catch up to me in the car a few hours later. I plan to ride the 250km London to Paris using this bike, though in 3 days. The fit and gearing of the bike should allow this without any issue.

Currently I use a small/narrow day pack for commuting. For the low km day trips while travelling would expect to do the same. For the London to Paris, I could imagine three changes of cycling clothes and rain gear would work in that tiny day pack as well for that. Would be a stretch. So no plans for luggage attached to the bike. This would mean staying in hotels and eating in restaurants for every meal, but that would be part of the fun.