Old 06-16-17, 02:05 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3140 Post(s)
Liked 173 Times in 136 Posts
Originally Posted by HTupolev View Post
Higher pressures decrease the amount that a tire deforms as it rolls, which is what results in less hysteresis loss. Wider tires can't be pumped as high, but they also deform less at a given pressure, so they don't *need* to be pumped as high to achieve similarly low losses. (And since they're squishier at the same amount of hysteresis loss, they work better as suspension, so they actually end up with lower rolling resistance as surfaces get rougher.)You still end up with bigger aero profile, but this is pretty darn insignificant at the speeds people tend to ride their hybrids
question for ya. I recently mounted a cpl 40mm tires which when fully inflated (to 87 lbs) didn't fit between my rear chain stays. I let some air out (to 50 psi) & they fit fine. with all of my 215 lbs plus bike & rear trunk the rear tire doesn't deform at all that I can tell. I could have gotten the 35mm tires & pumped them with more air but wutz the difference? meaning I think I'll keep these as they are & not return them for the narrower tire