Old 06-16-17, 10:32 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 168 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2910 Post(s)
Liked 243 Times in 185 Posts
Try a lower handlebar position. Comfort hybrids like your Giant Cypress and my Globe Carmel waste some energy efficiency in exchange for comfort. A few adjustments will make more difference than a relatively minor tire swap.

After getting back into shape riding the Globe back in 2015 I lowered the handlebar and then eventually swapped the riser bar for a flat bar. Getting the bar within an inch or so above saddle height made a big difference yet is still comfortable (although it took a few months of overall conditioning).

Next I tried a firmer saddle. Not a hard, uncomfortable saddle, just one that's a bit firmer. The original was heavily padded with springs. A saddle with somewhat flexible nylon frame and Lycra over resilient but thinner foam was more efficient. No real loss of comfort because the bike's long wheelbase and tires soaked up most bumps.

If your Cypress has a suspension seat post, try a solid seat post. Again, there are some trade offs between comfort and efficiency. An exception could be a pricey Thudbuster or similar Suntour post.

I'm actually running heavier, wider puncture resistant tires now than the originals. They roll more smoothly and comfortable at lower pressure without feeling sluggish.

If I wanted lighter weight but still comfortable and efficient tires I'd go with Continental Speed Rides on my comfort hybrid. I've been running a pair of Speed Rides on my mountain bike for several months and they're outstanding all around tires and great values.