daviddavieboy

Bikes: I have a few

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 340 Post(s)
Liked 210 Times in 104 Posts
Originally Posted by elcruxio
Well, I've been wrenching bikes for 10+ years now
OK so you are fairly new at this. I have about 25 years on you.

Cantis are by far the most difficult to deal with especially with somewhat peculiar pad shapes
True

Caliper brakes are easiest to deal with most of the time. yada yada yada If you want tire clearance you also lose all braking power and with big rubber you kinda want more power as well.
Caliper brakes are not safe for serious off road IMO

And then there are discs. . .
No question a disc brake is superior but that doesn't mean that the other types set up properly are not suitable FOR A BICYCLE

Also rim wear may not be an issue in sunny california but live where I live and you'll be swapping rims every couple of years. Rain and slush are bad for rims.
Umm, no, where I live we had 12 feet of snow this winter. I don't go to Cali the DOT is hard on Canadian truck drivers. . . OK all truck drivers.

Also, I like discs because they give me freedom in my setup. I can use brifters and 37mm tires but don't have to deal with the cancer that is cantis (much, my rear is canti, front is disc but I very rarely use the rear brake, it's more of a backup). If you haven't ridden good 37mm tires, you should. A little slower (aerodynamically) than 25's or 28's but a lot more comfy, more puncture resistant and best of all, allow you to ride almost any road imaginable
Yes disc brakes are very easy to set up, makes the inept seem like they are doing a great job, everyone get a participation medal.

Originally Posted by Maelochs
Some folks miss the point better than others.

Most road cars use hydraulic brakes, but when weight and space is not an issue, but reliability and simplicity is ... compressed air (stored at each wheel) gives the kind of power a 42-ton load needs ... and a leak doesn't dump 32 gallons of highly toxic and very expensive liquid onto the road.
Plus at the temperatures brakes on a semi get to, it would boil brake fluid.

Just an alternate view.
Nail hit squarely on head

Any given braking system suited to the purpose and application to which it was designed regardless of the type of vehicle, set up properly and in good mechanical condition will give more than adequate braking power.