View Single Post
Old 06-18-17, 06:03 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3221 Post(s)
Liked 2,048 Times in 1,170 Posts
Originally Posted by unionmanbirch
Not sure of your route, but you will be riding through some desolate and remote areas. Make sure you have plenty of water and don't be afraid to ask for more at someone's house if you need to. 2 years ago I toured through Downeast Maine (I left from Bangor!) and went several hours on the road without seeing a store, gas station or restaurant. I saw a lady outside her house and asked her for water. She was more than happy to help. Have fun. It was a great trip.
You happened to pick an area of Maine that is particularly desolate, is all. The region east of the I95 corridor is a lot of woods and swamps. The coastal/Rt 1 route has more towns.

Western Maine is a bit more populated to a point maybe 50 miles north of the east/west Rt 2 corridor. Then nothing but trees and there's only 2 routes down from Quebec with border crossings - Rt 27 and Rt 201, from NH in the SW to New Brunswick in the NE.

Last edited by Steve B.; 06-18-17 at 06:07 PM.