Old 06-19-17, 06:57 AM
awesomeame

Bikes: 2018 Trek Emonda SL w/Vision metron 40 wheelset, ultegra gruppa. 2010 Intense Tracer VP

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Heathpack
I think some of the perception of the differences in the cost of fresh food is a factor of where you live. Here in California, lots of stuff is grown locally, so produce can be really really cheap. Way cheaper than processed foods. @noglider's experience is likely way different, living in NYC.

You also figure out where to get the cheap but good stuff. We have a Mexican grocery store and an Aldi walking distance from my house. A discount grocery store about a mile away. And a Persian grocery store on the other side of town. Costco is a little farther. And a great natural grocery store for bulk items.

I am the person who looks at the weekly ads and plans my shopping from there. When you stick to the in-season stuff that's on sale, food can be really really cheap. We eat everything but try to load up our plates with a good amount of plant matter.
Good post. I agree, it's not what you're eating that'll dictate food cost, where you live and where/how you shop will dictate how much you spend. For example here there is an expensive grocery store, but if you go to costco down the road the meat is literally 1/2 the cost. We are talking 2km down the same road, lol. Also, the cheapest source of protein is protein powder...just make sure there's no added bad stuff in it!

There's a great app/website flipp.com Everyone should check it out...put in your postal code/zip and all the nearby flyers come up. If stores in your area price match, the app is great for that too...no more fumbling with paper flyers.

Matt