Old 06-21-17, 03:46 PM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1336 Post(s)
Liked 2,469 Times in 1,445 Posts
VSC track workout yesterday and Monday. Monday was 3x500 meter chase the motor from a standing start and Tuesday was 3xf200 meters with the first chase the motor, the second alone and the third chase the motor.

I did the solo f200 in 98 gear inches. I had great speed but could not hold the pole lane on the dive off the banking - too much speed. The first turn was not good and I said to myself, I must do better on the second turn and it was worse. The last motor chase f200 was okay.

What I really like about my new coach is his ability to design workouts and include the motor, in some workouts, in a manner that makes it more difficult than on your own. I was at high wattage and higher cadence/ speed behind the motor because he keeps the motor a couple of bike lengths ahead. Hence the motor driver has to know the workout objective and the athlete and pay attention to distance between the motor and the rider while watching where he is going. I am not dissing riding on the motor (close to the rear wheel) per se just that it is too easy but it can develop leg speed.

Also, we do these drills where there is only the motor and the rider on the track. In fact, in our sessions, I am always on the track by myself with the coach.

So I am on rollers, chasing the motor or next to the motor or riding solo and all of my times and speeds are recorded in my coaches book and compared each time to previous efforts. Power and training stress are pretty useless sprinting. Lap times including 1/4, 1/2 and full are much better and accurate indicators of performance on the track.

Also, I have joined the sick sprinters club. Generally, I am sick after each session. I do not puke but my stomach is just nasty and it hangs around for awhile. Generally, I thought the Hoy, MacClean and Trott were exaggerating their puking but if one is fully committed and being pushed to the limit sprinting, one is going to feel bad. It is part of track sprinting.

I have dramatically shortened my warmup and I have been using rollers with a routine that is done by the elite sprinters. It is basically a cadence progression on the rollers, rest, hard efforts, longer rest and change to race gears, hard effort in race gears, longer rest, then race.