View Single Post
Old 06-22-17, 07:38 PM
BigChief 

Mentioned: 103 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1299 Post(s)
Liked 103 Times in 85 Posts
Originally Posted by Velocivixen
Just thought I would update anyone who's interested, especially @noglider, since you asked. I LOVE my Raleigh Twenty new wheels with drum brake in front & 2-speed kickback rear. Of course the brakes are still "bedding in" and will only improve with some more riding time.

I love that there is only one single cable to the drum brake. I recommend the Sturmey Archer brake levers - they come as a pair and for $17, that's a steal. They're sort of a low sheen silver (paint?) with a faux leather textured length along the grip side of the lever. They have a confidence inspiring feel to them - sort of firm and luxurious (like driving my '64 Lincoln Continental!).

I did a bit of Rivendell-esque twine & shellac job on 3 small spots where the rear rack vibrates (the rack frame & the sprung "trap"). Subtle as well as effective.

The Knog "Oi" copper bell is elegantly designed, but not for high noise situations. Pleasing tone, but quiet, so not recommended for noisy riding situations.

I was able to get the bent crank arm about 98% corrected, so as I pedal I only very slightly feel a difference in that pedal. I guess I could work on it a bit more, but for now I'm good.
That's great. I didn't even realize there were still kick back hubs being made. Sounds like you're happy with the overall gearing, but is it possible to swap cogs like a 3 speed?