View Single Post
Old 06-24-17, 05:06 PM
velocentrik

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I think you guys are right that they are a duct crimping tool. Definitely wouldn't make a z-bend in a 14g spoke, it could only barely manage the first bend. That's actually what I thought they were but they just aren't. They make near perfect crimps in tin, duct tool it is.

For those that don't know you need a z-bend tool to problem solve a classic hub like a Sansin (also branded Suntour or Specialized) Hi-E or Mavic that you want to build into a wheel, when someone left the freewheel on and cut the spokes. You need a built wheel to get the freewheel off, and you can't get new spokes in because the freewheel is blocking the way. Using z-bend drive side spokes allows you to build up the wheel (on say a 559 hoop) to get the freewheel off to actually build your desired wheel. You build a smaller wheel like 559 because you cut off the J-bend and then you can cut and size down 635/630/622 wheels.

A great way to get hubs that were better quality than Campy cheap. I still need one now still, after this didn't turn into one at midnight. Some day I'll break down and buy the Wheel Fanatayk but I prefer to hunt for my tools via swaps/eBay.

Last edited by velocentrik; 06-24-17 at 09:14 PM.