Old 06-25-17, 01:34 PM
GUGLHUPF

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am not racing at all so this feedback may not matter to you.

The Salsa Warbird is the 4th bike in my stable. I got it in Dec '16 with Ultegra ( the red one). It's certainly comfortable, very comfortable. I ride it with 42mm Shikoro tires so I cannot talk about the chainstay thingamagic. The plush tires do the job. It handles very well and is very stable. The Ultegra shifts nice, but not better than my 9-speed 15 year old Ultegra on my Klein. I don't think they have great customer service. It took a while to find this bike in CA last year. Beforehand I tried Salsa's customer support and asked which dealers they are working with, but they never responded.

What I definitely was disappointed about is that the paint chipped away on the seat stay after second use. I got it from a pro shop with the right tools and didn't touch it myself so let's not get into me doing anything. I do have experience with this actually having a couple carbon/kevlar surfskis. There are some manufacturers that simply don't do well with the paint on carbon. I compared to Trek which does a meticulous job on their paint. For a $2000 frame I would expect more.

If I would do it again I probably would buy an OPEN frame. It's a small boutique shop and I saw their built bikes in the same shop I got my warbird ( a couple months later ). The OPEN UP has great geometry, is super versatile and fun. Top notch manufacturing too.