Thread: Spokes!!
View Single Post
Old 12-27-05, 03:57 AM
stapfam
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Wheels and spokes are the most abused items on my bike. I rarely check them, rarely have to adjust them, and they never get the lova and attention they deserve. What they do get is after about a years use they go back to my wheelbuilder to be retrued and tensioned. They difference he makes to a wheel is hardly notivcable, but Then I don't have wheel problems either. One thing I do though is to "Twang" the spokes every month or so. I just twang them and listen to the tone. All spokes should be around the same tone, but when I get that appreciably lower note- I know I have a problem. The spoke has become loose- either by a knock that has pushed it out of shape, or it is beginning to stretch or the thing called necking has occured.

On the rides- I always carry a spoke key. Then if I get a bad knock and the wheel goes out of true I can correct it to get home. Doesn't happen very often but the key does get used quite a lot on my mates bikes. Just to keep them running.

Spike Milligan