View Single Post
Old 06-30-17, 08:47 PM
sweeks

Bikes: Airborne "Carpe Diem", Motobecane "Mirage", Trek 6000, Strida 2, Dahon "Helios XL", Dahon "Mu XL", Tern "Verge S11i"

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 582 Times in 399 Posts
Originally Posted by Banzai
BF has a lot of love for the Alfine, but if you check MTBR, a number of people had the same problems I had.
I have an Alfine 11 on my folding commuter bike which has just turned over 5,000 miles. It's never complained when I stand on the pedals. A couple years ago I did a century on this bike and climbed a few hills; the hub performed flawlessly.

IMO, geared hubs are ideally suited for commuter bikes, especially if the wheels are small. On my folder, which has 20" wheels, a derailleur would hang down perilously close to the road where the chain would be exposed to dirt and water.

As to the flat-repair issue, I don't find removing the wheel a problem at all, though I *do* carry a 15mm box-end wrench to remove the axle nuts. But I haven't had a flat in years because of the tires I use: Schwalbe Marathon Plus. Flats are a non-issue.

Don't think I don't like derailleurs though! I have a nice 9R/3F-speed Ultegra drivetrain on my road bike which also works really well.
Steve