Thread: Disc brakes
View Single Post
Old 07-04-17, 06:46 PM
europa
Grumpy Old Bugga

Bikes: Hillbrick, Malvern Star Oppy S2, Europa (R.I.P.)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 370 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by zymphad
I do not believe for a second that the pros are using disc bikes because discs are safer, better and going to help them win.

I truly believe, not an ounce of doubt, the brands are forcing pros to ride disc because they know, it's the only way to get gullible consumers to buy new road bikes with disc.

Seem evident to me, the brands have become stagnant with road bikes. You can't make them that much lighter any more, the carbon layers are only .1-.2 mm thick now. Stiffer won't do anything since consumers don't have the strength to overcome stiffness of carbon bikes from five years ago, nevermind current. No amount of gimmicks are going to make rough roads comfortable.

The only gimmick left is, disc brakes. But that's me. The excuse disc brakes are better in the rain is moronic to me. Why are cyclists riding so fast in the rain that rim brakes are failing? I think there is more to be concerned about than disc brakes if you are riding that fast in the rain. Last I checked regardless of what brakes you have, roads are slippery in the rain.
Cynicism's good. I personally think the next 'improvement' will be electrically operated disk brakes