Old 07-06-17, 02:04 PM
srestrepo

Bikes: 2016 Felt Z85 105, 2016 GT Grade Sora

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mcours2006
I didn't find that my cantilever brakes were an issue during a pretty bad freezing rainstorm last winter despite the copious amount of ice build up on just about every part of the bike.

Attachment 570563

Attachment 570564

Attachment 570565
do you think there would be any merit to have full coverage cables and housings in a situation like this?

i was thinking about the winter commute i'm going to be trying to take on going forward. i've been looking at tires and and what things might occur during winter commute. luckily the bike i have has full housings that go all the way to their component, i.e. the rear derailer and brake and i'm pretty sure the front derailer up until the bend under the bottom bracket.

hey Mcours2006, do you think if maybe you had a mud flap at the end of your fender that extended pretty close to the ground that would potentially would have avoided this nasty accumulation of slush and ice?

i'm just looking for real world experiences here...

also, i know it has been said that brake rotors also suffer from being wet and having rain freeze onto them however, my assumption would be that the disc brake pads might be harder than the rubber brake pads and also potentially even have a perpendicular face to the rotor that would better clear away the ice and in that sense generally have a more effective way of clearing the ice or moisture from the brake surface, right? (sorry, i'm long winded).