View Single Post
Old 07-10-17, 08:23 AM
sykerocker 

Bikes: The keepers: 1958 Raleigh Lenton Grand Prix, 1968 Ranger, 1969 Magneet Sprint, 1971 Gitane Tour de France, 1973 Raleigh Tourist, 3 - 1986 Rossins, and a '77 PX-10 frame in process.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 218 Post(s)
Liked 226 Times in 124 Posts
Anybody familiar with a Raleigh Royale?

Latest project in the shop in a Raleigh ten-speed which, according to the label on the top tube is called the Royale. I'm completely unfamiliar with the model, although I'm guessing it's somewhere within the '63-66 vintage. Sorry I didn't take any pictures before tearing into it, but I'll give as complete a description as I can. Decals are the classic Raleigh pre/early-Bike Book font.

Classic Raleigh lightweight frame, no tubing marking, but I'm guessing by the shadow of a missing label on the seat tube it might be 2030. Kind of a relaxed head tube angle, headlight boss on the right fork leg, like my old Gran Sport. Classic Raleigh dark green with that cute overstrap on the rear upper stays at the seat post. Gold fenders, match the contrasting seat tube color well enough to make me believe it's original on the bike. Unfortunately the rear fender is broken and half missing.

Crankset is cottered half-step, not unlike my Lenton Gran Prix. Derailleurs are Simplex Prestige(-ish), but unlike any 70's era Prestige I've seen. The enclosures for the springs on the rear are cut out at the top and bottom, with some kind of cardboard-ish material covering the springs themselves. Well the bottom one is intact, the top one is shredded and gone. Derailleur is black Delrin. Front derailleur is like every other Simplex pushrod mechanism of the time period I've seen, except that the front strap and button covering the pushrod tube are black, not the usual red/silver or silver/silver.

Brakes are GB center pulls. Steel rims, no quick releases, haven't gotten to cleaning the hubs yet to see the brand.

Anyone got any ideas what I have here? I'm guessing at the years range because I haven't seen the model in either the '62 or '67 catalogs.

Alloy bars and stem, both typical of the time period.

“No one in this world, so far as I know — and I have searched the records for years, and employed agents to help me — has ever lost money by underestimating the intelligence of the great masses of the plain people. Nor has anyone ever lost public office thereby.”

H.L. Mencken, (1926)