View Single Post
Old 07-13-17, 10:12 AM
Pompiere

Bikes: 1984 Miyata 310, 1986 Schwinn Sierra, 2011 Jamis Quest, 1980 Peugeot TH8 Tandem, 1992 Performance Parabola, 1987 Ross Mt. Hood, 1988 Schwinn LeTour, 1988 Trek 400T, 1981 Fuji S12-S LTD, 197? FW Evans

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 524 Post(s)
Liked 977 Times in 509 Posts
Originally Posted by hokiefyd
The Swagman XC racks have a bolt that goes through the receiver instead of the standard clevis pin. This requires you to bring a ratchet or wrench with you if you want to remove the rack on your trip, but it REALLY fixes it to the vehicle and eliminates any wiggle.
I have a nashbar Shadow rack with a bolt and I just bought a cheap ratchet wrench at a flea market to keep with the rack.

For hybrids and mountain bikes, any rack with wheel trays is a whole lot easier to use than the older hang-by-the-frame style. Mine has knobs to adjust the size, but the more expensive models have nicer ratchets that just click into place.

Next easiest is the fork mounts, where you take off the front wheel. They can be mounted in the truck bed, on a board, and I know one guy that has a pair mounted to the roll bar on his VW convertible. The rear tire rests on the folded top, the front wheels go in the back seat.