View Single Post
Old 07-18-17, 07:25 AM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1446 Post(s)
Liked 762 Times in 570 Posts
I have some updates on this bike. I'm working on fitting a trekking bar to it, along with raising the stem some for better comfort. I'm sort of in the middle of that, testing fit and shifters and such before I finalize it with tape.

My plan for this bike is to keep it "classic" looking, and keep the silver/bright trim theme. I bought a polished aluminum trekking bar from Velo Orange. Right now, I have a black adjustable stem on it for checking fit, but my plan is to replace this with a polished or silver stem once I have the final measurement. I have a tube wrapping the bar now, and will top this with some nice leather-brown tape. I also plan to replace the saddle with a brown saddle to match. It has a black rear rack, but I'd like to replace this with a silver/stainless rack when I can find one on the cheap. I have other bikes that have all black trim -- I'd like to keep this one bright.

(Never mind the black seat post -- it's from another bike temporarily as I've been swapping posts and saddles around.)

The forward straps on the rear rack fit perfectly on the INSIDE of the seat stay bosses. This works perfect, because the noodle for the rear Mini-V curves up just outside the rack strap. Excellent!

The Shimano SL-EF51 combo brake/shift levers I had on here are black and didn't fit very cleanly on the trekking bars. Two strikes against them. So I'm not using those and I actually have the original Tektro cantilever brake levers and the original Sram SRT-400 shifters. I ran all new shift cable housings and new shift cables, and took the shifters apart and cleaned them, and these shifters work a treat now (they were slow and mushy when I first got the bike). The cantilever brake levers are also fun with the Mini-V brakes. I bought these Mini-Vs because I wanted something silver and compact so as to blend in. But, being Mini-Vs, they're somewhat compatible with the cantilever brake levers. I have them set so that I can JUST wiggle the noodle out of the brake arm, and there's about an inch of brake lever travel before the pads make contact, but, being the short-pull levers that they are, mechanical action is overtly strong. I can physically bottom the levers out on the handle bar on the bike stand (if I REALLY pull them), but, out on the road, I've never come close to bottoming out, even braking really strong. There's so much mechanical action, they're really 1-finger brakes right now. Interesting and fun for now. I'll decide whether or not I want to keep these levers on it or get V-brake levers.

Pictures in following post.