Old 07-19-17, 08:37 AM
Equinox

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by phoebeisis
Equinox-you wrote-the below
Being in a cage is a miserable experience, and that probably puts them in a bad mood to begin with. It has to be something because most road cyclists I know defer to motor vehicles 99.9% of the time. By "defer", I mean cedeing their legal right out of a sense of courtesy and survival. Motorists have FAR bigger issues with other motorists than with us.

I have to agree with PatrickGS- driving a car isn't miserable-certainly not that road-which as PatrickGS mentioned-Sat. am low traffic volume-pretty landscape- why would that be miserable?
Now commuting-heavy traffic both ways-time constraints-yeah miserable-

But USA 1950's-1960's type road trip-stopping side of road-pull out ice chest-cheese sandwich ham and Cheese mustard-cold coke or OJ- chocolate milk-grapes apples oranges good bread butter
stopping to walk dog at rest stops-talk to fellow dog/catg owners-while driving across the SW or NE east coast
Skyline drive Blue Ridge parkway
Sleep in back of vehicle(save money)
Yeah something to be said for car travel-actually seeing country-meeting strangers-pass time of day

Now the rest of your statement- defer to drivers ceding legal because of courtesy.survival
is right but incomplete
Mostly we FRAP because it costs us NOTHING- win win-
Yes LC/VCs will insist it is unsafe to FRAP
I will insist LC is more dangerous
None of us have actual data to back up our positions-so..
But it hardly matters since very very few folks LC position-
I was driving in my village yesterday. The posted speed limit is 30mph, but everyone safely does 35mph. There was a car two vehicles in front of me doing 20. It didn't seem like anyone's head was exploding, no horns, no yelling, no obscene gestures. Why? Why are we more tolerant of other motor vehicles that cause substantial delays, but we can't abide a bicycle for 5 seconds?