View Single Post
Old 07-19-17, 08:52 AM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 964 Times in 628 Posts
Originally Posted by StarBiker
My local thrift got a bunch of bikes in yesterday similar to this. I wouldn't buy it either, but people buy this stuff.
The crap, and the prices they pay for it in thrift stores never ceases to amaze me.
Many of them think they scored a gem, assuming old = valuable. I bought ten bikes from a guy like that. All were Goodwill finds. Nine were junkers, one was decent. I took all ten since that was the deal. Nine went straight back to Goodwill for the next sucker/buyer.

I've seen this transition in pickers in the last ten years. Pickers went from grabbing their specialty: toys, electronics, whatever; to grabbing anything they thought they could turn a buck on. Unfortunately, 99% of them know nothing about bikes, so they tend to grab anything, expecting it to be gold.

I see a lot of these on the local C/L, asking $100 or $200 for some "rare" barn find. I've seen one on C/L in Charlotte that has been reposted for OVER four years.
Please don't confuse ebay "asking" prices with "selling" prices. Many sellers never get their ask price. some are far from it. Value is determined once an item actually SELLS. Its easy enough to check SOLD prices.

Last edited by wrk101; 07-19-17 at 11:26 AM.