View Single Post
Old 07-22-17, 05:55 PM
Snyder

Bikes: A Pretty teal Coaster with a Pimp basket!

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tandempower
Buying dry grains makes it easy to carry and cook a lot of food affordably and without the water weight. I try to cook brown rice often, because it's higher in protein than other grains, but it requires a pressure cooker, which many people are not responsible enough to use safely. If you can absolutely not forget to leave the stove on, you can bring a pressure cooker up to pressure and turn it off after 5 or 10 minutes and just leave it cooling on the stove all afternoon and have chewy, gooey brown rice for dinner. I usually cook enough that I can get a couple days of stir-fries out of the same batch of rice, but I don't know if that would work with multiple teenager 'bottomless pits,' as you put it.

I also like dried beans for the same reasons, i.e. cost-efficient and light to carry without the water-weight. I have learned to soak beans, keeping them rinsed and drained for a few days to soften them up before cooking. I also use the pressure cooker, which is especially good for black beans that can take hours and hours in a crock pot. Unfortunately, my son can be very picky when it comes to preferring canned beans over soaked-and-boiled dry beans, so I end up buying cans, which are heavy and bulky, but we usually do fine going by the store every few days by bike.
Oh I hear ya! Winco has a good bulk section that we hit up hard about once a month. We eat a ton of fresh food so we have to go often. It wuldnt be so bad if they were teenagers, but they are only 1, 9, and 10. So we truck out the bike trailer and my ten year old likes to ride his 2 level tall bike, and they still think they can bolt out and be fine.