View Single Post
Old 07-24-17, 09:48 AM
OneIsAllYouNeed
Long-term wear tester

Bikes: Cycles Chinook travel/gravel/family tandem, KHS CX200 road/gravel, Voodoo Agwe fixie commuter, Gunnar Sport travel/road, Motobecane Boris fatbike

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by patrickgm60 View Post
I've "volunteered" to ride a 24-hour (1pm to 1pm) ride for charity, next weekend. Sponsors are mostly pledging per mile, so I'd like to cover lots of ground. Have never ridden more than 7.5 hours in one day (at aggressive pace, however), so need to manage my limited resources.

What pace, gearing, and hours of riding would you recommend? Any other tips? Route is fairly flat, temperature range will be over 50 degrees.

Thanks.
Pace: "endurance pace". Faster than "digestive pace" unless you just ate too much. Don't worry about keeping up with other people.

Gearing: whatever you normally use should be fine. For most people, cadence and speed both drop with distance, so you really don't need to make any changes.

Hours: As many as possible. Shoot for 23-23.5. Minimize your stops and minimize the time of those stops. Carry as much food and water as you can. I'd start a 24 hour race with 5 24oz bottles on the bike -- and another 5 in a cooler near the 6 hour mark. Put your food for the next 6 hours in a musette bag so you can grab it all quickly. Keep your lights mounted to your bike from the start until dawn -- or the whole time. Going slowly on the bike while you futz with bottles, clothes, lights, or GPS is still much faster than doing the same while stopped. Be safe, though. Take nature breaks near the road.

Other tips: Chamois cream. Favorite shorts. Lightweight helmet. Salt tablets. Coffee. Reflective tape on your crankarms. Freshly charged batteries in everything (computer, phone, lights, shifters, power meter, boombox, etc) at the start. Keep a floor pump, spare CO2, and spare tubes in your car. Bring more clothing layers (jacket, insulated jersey, tights, hat, gloves, wool socks, booties) for the night than you think you'll need -- you won't be producing as much excess heat as you do during harder rides. More coffee.