Old 07-27-17, 08:12 AM
Philly Tandem

Bikes: Too many! Santana tandems and triplet; MTBs; touring bikes

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 15 Posts
We just got back from a (driving) tour from Jasper down through Lake Louise, Banff, and Calgary. We saw quite a few self-supported bike tourists along Icefields Parkway. The trip got me thinking that I'd like to go back and do the route on a bike, as (for the most part) the hills aren't all that bad. There are a few big ascent/descents, but mostly it's light rolling hills. The lack of services could be an issue, but there are quite a few campgrounds and the hostels, too. I started looking into it last week, so here are a few links/info bits that might be helpful.

The Icefields Chalet (part of the discovery center) does have a restaurant (https://www.brewster.ca/attractions-...enture/dining/), although we didn't eat there. We almost did their "twilight" glacier tour, which includes a tour, appetizers on the glacier, and dinner back at the restaurant for a fairly reasonable price. I think the Chalet would be a neat place to stay, as it would be nice to be there after the hordes of bus tours depart.

There is a regular bus service that runs Calgary-Jasper, with stops in between, that you could use to get to the beginning or end. Says they will take "bikes in boxes subject to space availability." See Calgary Edmonton Airports Jasper Alberta Airport Shuttle Express, Brewster & Sundog

Reservations would be essential at the hotels along the route. We had a campervan and camped, but even the campgrounds are booked ahead. Not sure if they will turn away touring cyclists if the CG is full.

We did see quite a few Backroads tour groups, so I would guess they are the dominant operator up there. Didn't note any other guided bike groups, but maybe they were there and just lower-key.

The only thing I'd really worry about is all the rental RVs traversing the route with inexperienced drivers. Definitely take a rear-view mirror and bright blinkie lights!

We stayed one night in Jasper (Whistlers CG) and three nights in Lake Louise CG. Beautiful country, for sure. As I said, it's on my "future tours" list now!