View Single Post
Old 08-01-17, 04:05 PM
markm109

Bikes: '03 Litespeed Blue Ridge; '15 Litespeed T5; '17 Jamis Renegade Exploit; '17 Salsa Fargo 27.5+

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks everyone for your responses - it's reassuring to know that this is just not happening to me.

I don't want this post to turn into a diet discussion. I followed the American Diabetes Association (ADA) diet when I was diagnosed. I purchased Dr Neal Barnard's book - Program for Reversing Diabetes in 2007 when it came out and went vegan. I wrote to the ADA to get their take on Barnard's book and a vegan diet. The ADA agreed it was a good plan but did not promote vegan because they felt it would not be followed by the majority of those with Diabetes and that their more moderate diet was more likely to be followed. I accepted their answer and it just affirmed that vegan was a good choice.

But vegan is hard to do - eating out you're likely to get egg in foods. There are quite a few "vegan" junk foods - potato chips, twizzlers, etc... Eliminating added oil is very difficult - from the heart disease diet. I have had a double stint put into the widow maker which was almost completely blocked and I had a stroke 4 years ago with impairment of movement on my right side of the body. I have 95% recovered from the stroke and I credit my love of biking for that recovery. When I follow my diet 100% - my sugar will drop into the 70's with the meds I'm on. Problem is I get tired of eating mostly salads. So I eat other vegan foods which have more carbs. I've been a vegan for 10 years. My weight has slowly dropped and I'm stronger this year than I've ever been - 50 mile rides are no problem and I've even did a Century and plan on doing at least one more this year if not several more.

I agree that there are other diets that have and are working for other people with diabetes. That's great, find one you can stick with. I am not vegan for the animals - just for my health. This is how I choose to eat and I don't try to push it on others. Really research and understand what caused diabetes in your body. It wasn't carbs.