View Single Post
Old 08-07-17, 10:18 AM
tamnalan

Bikes: BF Pakit, Early 90s Merlin road bike, Marin Hawk Hill 2,some old Cannondales & Fuji road bikes

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just bought a Pakit. The handlebar height is easily adjustable downward by simply sliding the stem down on the tube but for safety purposes, the tube should be cut to length after fitting. The stem tube is basically an assembly with one tube sliding inside the other. The upper tube is the one I shortened.

EDIT: I'm new to this forum and maybe misunderstood. My Pakit doesn't have an adjustable stem, but it is easily tailored to my riding preference.

I got my Pakit with a 4-speed hub & belt drive. The chainring has 55T and the cog is 24T. The Sturmey Archer adjustment instructions are a little vague. It says to shift into 2nd gear and then adjust cable tension to align two yellow marks, but there are a bunch of yellow marks to choose from! Note that some of the marks are "dimples" and some are "slots". Looking from the rear of the bike (and NOT the side), simply adjust the cable tension to align the two yellow slots. The cable tension is adjusted at the shifter.

I'm very happy with this Pakit. It's my first foray into folding bikes but it's exactly what I wanted. I wanted a "local knockabout bike" for traveling and that is exactly what this is. I used MKS Ezy superior Esprit pedals - with them, the bike quickly folds without tools into a 30" hard side suitcase.

It would be nice if the seat tube could be marked from the factory for quick setup - agree with the other poster above.

Last edited by tamnalan; 08-07-17 at 03:53 PM.